Monday, April 20, 2009

Unexpectedly Wicked


After class on Thursday my friend Desiree and I were at the school talking about what we should do for the rest of the eventing. Her roommate won lottery tickets to see the musical "Wicked" at the Capital Theater last week and saw the show for only $25. Desiree thought it would be fun to head downtown and just try to win one of those lottery tickets - That sounded like much more fun than studying so that's exactly what we did.
We made it to the theater at about 5:45PM and put our names in the drawing, just in case they happened to pull my name out I didn't want any confusion as to who it was so I included how to phonetically pronounce my name (Kuchenmeister - kook-en-my-ster) on my entry card - I know I'm a dork. There were about 400 people at the lottery and only 20 tickets to give away - the odds really weren't that great. At 6:00 they began to draw names out, it was so nerve racking and exciting. After five names had been drawn out I just didn't want to think about the odds I had of winning so I decided to look at all of the advertisements on the windows and other things. Then the weirdest thing happened- the announcer said Emilee Kuchenmeister. What!!!!.....my delayed response was a pretty loud..WAAHOOO! I could hardly believe that my name was called I was so excited and had tingles all over - honestly I never win anything. We bought our 11th row ticket for Thursday's show for $25 each - I honestly felt like I was stealing them because the tickets were so good.

P.F. Changs
Desiree and I decided to eat at P.F. Changs before the show started. The wait was surprisingly longer than we thought it would have been for a Thursday night. It must have been ladies night there too because all of the tables were filled with groups of women. Because we had limited time before the show we decided only to get an appetizer (lettuce wraps of course) and dessert. That was the best dessert I have had in a while - It consisted of pineapple coconut ice cream in the middle, deep fried banana's wrapped in egg roll shells, drizzled in caramel and some fresh fruit on the side. It was perfect!


We finished eating with only about ten minutes to spare before the show started, so we ran for a block to get back to the theater in time. I think we would have taken it a little slower if we knew that they were going to start the show ten minutes late but that's okay.

This is Glinda helping Elphaba (the green one) how to be popular. I think that was one of the most hilarious scenes I have ever seen - Glinda did a great job.
These are some pictures from Emerald city. One of my favorite costumes from the production is the yellow one in the bottom left corner.
Oh my what an amazing production! The message was very inspiring and I was extremely pleased with the performances of the actors and the musicians, the costumes, technical lighting and special effects that were required to make the whole thing come together. Now that I have seen this show I would definitely pay full price to see it again any day. Thanks Desiree for the suggestion I'm so glad that we were able to go it was way better than studying.

5 comments:

  1. I am SO super jealous! I went to Wicked while I was in Chicago and I loved it! I'm glad you had fun, I wish I was there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you! How fun! I have to say...I'm a tad bit jealous...okay so I'm really jealous. Haha...haven't seen Wicked yet, but LOVE the music and hope to get to it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's soooo Cool! i NEVEr win anything either! i heard that wicked was really good but impossible to get tickets. anyway sounds way fun! i love PF changs lettuce wraps too! they are sooo delicious! i have never tried that dessert though. i'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only heard rave reviews of this production! Way to take a chance! I think that is great. I haven't seen it, but someday we will. I love their lettuce wraps and the dessert sounds really yummy! Now I know what I'm getting for a little treat at our PFs. We missed you on the drive to Washington, but appreciated you sending John. It was nice for us all to be together. We missed Kris, Ashley, Darren and the boys, but we still had a nice time all in the same van. lots of time to visit and be together. We love you!

    ReplyDelete