Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving







This year John and I spent thanksgiving with his family. I was very excited to be with them because we all live so far away from each other. The only bummer was the fact that not everyone was able to come, Ashley was in Washington at school and Emily and her family were in Idaho with her husbands family. John and I hosted the event at our house. John's parents Joe and Dawn drove in from Nevada and his brother Kris & Ashley drove from California.

We had a very eventful Thursday morning because Kris (who was cutting some honeydew melon for breakfast) had to take a break and help his son in the other room. So I thought that I would be helpful and finish the job... but with my "better knife" with the sharper blade. Everyone thought that I was cutting the fruit like pro.....up until I let my thumb get in the way. I literally almost sliced right through the tip of my thumb, and if I didn't have long fingernails I would have probably scalped the tip right off. It really wasn't too serious - but very bloody. A word of advice "the next time you cut your finger and it begins to bleed......don't shake in violently back and forth..." I you can imagine I made a nice mess in the kitchen- which I didn't clean up...sorry guys! We went to Mariann Barton's home (she is like a mom to John and a she's a nurse) so that she could view the damages and determine if I needed stitches. The verdict was that I would probably be okay with some steri strips and super glue. So that's what we did. She told me that the only prescription I needed was that I shouldn't to do any cooking the rest of the day. I thought that I could follow those instructions with no problem, but I still did help with the cooking anyways.

That evening Kris and Ashley couldn't stay too long and had to leave Thursday night but I was glad for the time we did get to spend even though it short. John and his dad made some Swedish meatballs (which are a holiday pastime for the Kuchenmeister's). I adopted the tradition quiet well because they are so yummy....I LOVE THEM! I was just really bummed that I could help make them because of my thumb. One great thing about having thanksgiving at my house is that we got to keep the leftovers...there was no complaining about the leftover meatballs! If you want to taste a good comparison to Joe's meatballs, next time you are at IKEA shopping, taste their Swedish meatballs, they do a pretty decent job (but but they are just not quiet as good as JOE'S!!)

We had great meal together and I loved that fact that everyone pitched in to help with some part of it. One of my part of the holidays is that all you do is hang out with family, eat food, play games, eat food, take a nap, eat food, go shopping, eat food, etc. It's great!!!! We had so much fun together and I can hardly wait until we get together with everyone over New Years.

Dawn is an avid Black Friday shopper so John and I woke up at four o'clock in the morning to go to Walmart in Ephraim with her. The major item on our list was a 32 inch TV for Emily's family. When we got there the line to get in was enormous. There were about three to four hundred people in front of us, so we decided to wait it out in the car until the store opened at five. There was no real need to wait in the cold with that many people in front of us. When we got into the store it was a crazy place....I think partially due to the fact that there is no other place to shop in Sanpete at that time of morning....so the whole county was there! Every single shopping cart was being used which clogged up the isles and so you literally could not move. I was really glad that I went though because I got some great deals on a few movies, so that was worth it. When we got home I decided that I should sleep and so I went back to bed until about nine. It was a great weekend and I loved spending time with John's family they are the BEST!

4 comments:

  1. sounds fun! i know about the whole black friday shopping, luckly i have kids to take care of now so it's just not practical. sorry about your thumb, they really are soo necissary I'm sure it's been hard on you not useing it as much as normal. feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that Thanksgiving had to happen the way it did. I wish we'd have never come back for family photos. 11/29 I drove back from Cali, 12/8 we had the divorce documents noterized. It happened so fast it doesn't even feel like it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Brad,
    Sorry to hear about you and Heather!! I hope that you are doing ok! I wish we could have helped some how. so where are you staying now?

    ReplyDelete